Saturday, June 12, 2010

Allegheny Midland: Lessons Learned



I just picked up a copy of Tony Koester's new book Allegheny Midland: Lessons Learned. I've just started reading it, and have enjoyed it immensely thus far.

One of the reasons I bought the book is because I sort of "grew up" in model railroading with the AM. When I came back to the hobby in 1987, it was one of the layouts I followed in the model railroad press (along with the Virginian & Ohio and the Ohio Southern, the latter which provided many helpful tips for building my double deck layout).

I knew I could never achieve what Tony achieved, but his layout inspired me to try my best to create a plausible and top-notch model railroad. My efforts were rewarded in 2000 when Tony was in Winnipeg for a model railroad convention. He stopped by to see my layout, offering compliments on my achievements to that point.

Now that this book is out, I can re-live my memories of reading about the AM.

Highly recommended!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good book indeed, John. Tony is able to write interesting columns on his modelling, including as much forethought and vision about what he's planning, as he does the actual layout building. I've enjoyed his columns over the years - there's no-one else writing with the same eloquence and coherence about building a layout.
    Eric

    ReplyDelete