Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tri-ang Trains


1969 Tri-ang catalogue.

Like many model railroaders my age (early 50s), I got my start in model railroading in Lionel. But before I moved on to HO, I spent a few years with Tri-ang trains.


1973 catalogue, in English and French.

Tri-ang was made in England. Its scale was OO, a bit bigger than HO. Since Tri-Ang made Canadian trains, it was popular in Canada in the 1960s and early 1970s.

The models were crude, even for the time. (The F unit was a cross between an F7 and an FA-1, but did disservice to both with its high pug nose and small windows.) But for a kid who loved trains, it was just fine.

By the early 1970s, sales of Tri-ang's Canadian trains had declined and the business was closed.


A typical consist, with the pug-nosed F unit.


Another look at the "interesting" Tri-ang F unit.

I got into Tri-ang by accident; an uncle had some Tri-ang and, when he lost interest, he gave them to me.

By the time I sold my Tri-ang to go into HO, I had several locomotives, about 15-20 freight cars and a passenger train.

Today there are people who avidly collect Tri-ang; all I keep are my memories of laying on my living room floor and watching the Transcontinental fly by.


1970 catalogue.

More information about Tri-ang trains can be found at
http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/ and http://www.tri-ang.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment